established in 1834
Bryansford Cottage is the slightly misnamed 6 bedroom country house located at the edge of Bryansford village at the feet of the Mourne Mountains. Set in 1.5 acres of mature gardens, it is the perfect retreat to hideaway and relax in stunning scenery. From the house you can be in Tollymore Forest within a couple of minutes walk. We're about 10 minutes drive from either Newcastle or Castlewellan.
'Bryansford Cottage': (EHS) A building is shown on this site on the OS map of 1834 which matches the size of the main portion of the present house. Unfortunately the details of the contemporary valuation survey are missing, so we have no idea of the dimensions of the building at this point, the occupant, nor how old the valuers believed (or were informed) the building was. On the revised map of 1859 the building is shown much as today and is marked ‘Bryansford Cottage’. ‘Bryansford Cottage’ is listed in ‘Slater’s Directory’ of 1846, as the home of one Captain Hill, so it is possible (if adopted names of houses are an indication of a revamping of a property) that the house has adopted its present day shape by that date as least. Against this it has to be said that the first survey notes of 1972 mention that one of the gables had a date panel (apparently no longer visible) marked ‘1858’, however, the fact that the building had its current name in 1846 must at least mean that today’s house existed in some form at this date. Captain Hill was still resident in 1856, but when the house was revalued in 1863 it was occupied by the Hon. John Jocelyn, who appears to have been the half-brother of the 3rd Earl of Roden. By 1870 the property was occupied by a C.V. Darcy J.P., who remained there until 1877. He was followed by a J.B. Kingscote, and then (in c. 1885) by another J.P., a C.E.S. Stronge. By 1890 a C. Brownlow, was in residence, then (in c.1901) Mr Strong again, and during the 1920s and 30s (and possibly before this) another Justice of the Peace, Alexander Dobbin. The fact that many of the occupants of the house were J.Ps, and that it was near the 'Big House', supports the locally held idea that the property once acted as the residence for Lord Roden’s chief land agent.